The Certified Builders Association is today pleased to be the first organisation to invite its members to apply for approval to offer New Zealand’s first fully independent and underwritten warranty for repairs to leaky homes.
Called the WaterTight Warranty, it gives homeowners peace of mind that their investment in repairs will stand the test of time. It also reassures prospective buyers that they have the support of the guarantor should any problems arise in the future. The benefits to homeowners are:
• Structural defects – guaranteed for ten years
• Weathertightness of the building envelope – guaranteed for five years
• Non-structural defects – guaranteed for two years
• WaterTight repairs guaranteed up to $500,000
• Loss of deposit and extra cost to complete the repairs
• The warranty is transferrable to another buyer, helping owners sell their houses faster and for more
• Only builders with the right experience, qualifications and skills can display the WaterTight Seal of Approval and offer the WaterTight Warranty. This means homeowners can trust a WaterTight Approved Builder to do the job right.
Builtin New Zealand, who have been administering the Homefirst Builders Guarantee for Certified Builders members for almost 10 years, will also administer the WaterTight Warranty.
Bax says, “We’re proud of the long association we’ve had with Builtin New Zealand, and see this as a real opportunity for our members to stand out from the crowd if they’re considering doing weathertight remediation. Now that the Government’s Financial Assistance Package (FAP) for leaky homeowners has been announced we should start to see work in this area picking up strongly in 2012. This is good news for members who want to get into this work.”
Certified Builders who meet Builtin’s criteria will be able to display the WaterTight Seal of Approval on their website, vehicle and other materials, helping them stand out from the crowd of less qualified and skilled tradesmen who will be out there looking for this work. To qualify a builder must:
• Have attended DBH Weathertight Training or equivalent
• Be a Licensed Building Practitioner
• Have previous experience in undertaking remedial works
• Meet Builtin’s financial solvency criteria